International Trauma Training Institute is an approved NBCC continuing education provider. ACEP # 6674. This course is also approved by NAADAC, #193785, Exp. 5/1/22)
- DATE: April 19 – May 31, 2021 for the regular 6-week version
- DELIVERY METHOD: 6-week online. Allow 2 – 3 hours per week.
- PREREQUISITES: None
- CE HOURS: 13
- COURSE FEE: $198 (discounted 10% thru 12/31/21). All course material is provided.
- SECTIONS: Participants will be assigned to a section with no more than 15.
- FACULTY OVERSIGHT: An ITTI faculty member will be assigned to each section.
- WITHIN EACH MODULE participants are expected to participate in the NON-LIVE weekly discussion. You will be able to interact with others in your section, as well as the instructor, via the discussion board.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the basic concepts of Motivational Interviewing, its spirit, and essential strategies.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the central concepts of ambivalence and discrepancy and the rationale for their importance in facilitating behavioral change.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the basic skills of OARS.
- Demonstrate proficiency with assessing readiness for change.
- Demonstrate proficiency with eliciting self-motivational statements, change talk, and supporting self-efficacy.
- Demonstrate proficiency with helping clients develop a “change plan”.
- Motivational Interviewing Definitions
- Is Motivational Interviewing Effective?
- What is Motivational Interviewing?
- What Motivational Interviewing is NOT
- Stages of Change
- Guiding Principles
- M.I. Traps
- The “Spirit” of M.I.
- 4 Core Skills: OARS
- Listen Reflectively
- Types of Reflections
- The 4 Processes of M.I.
- Importance/Confidence Rulers
- Assessing Readiness to Change
- Change Talk
- The 7 Dimensions of Change Talk
- The 7 Dimensions of “Sustain Talk”
- Signs of Readiness to Change
- Simple Language Tips
- 8 Stages of Learning M.I.
- Developing a Change Plan
- Methods of Learning M.I.
- Summary and Conclusions